Saturday, May 14, 2005

Power to the People

I hardly know where Uzbekistan is but the bloody incidents which took place over these last couple of days can hardly go unnoticed. Whenever people take to the streets, protesting against their own government, it is always a sign of grievous problems. As is the case with the Uzbekistani crisis.

What baffles me is that the people have defied all the state-inflicted fear and went out protesting because they are dying of hunger, and at the same time this is a land very rich in natural resources. This simply goes beyond my understanding.

Of course, a tight fisted regime with a world known reputation of despotism cannot but suppress its own people. And hence the violence, the bloodshed and death.

Events like this make me rethink my philosophy of non-violence. I hate admitting this, but ...

1 Comments:

At 1:37 pm, Blogger Peklectrick said...

I don't think that non-violence is absolute. I, personally, would not condemn violence if it was used as a last resort and if attacks were carried out in a dignified manner. That's sounds a bit contradictory. I know. But in my mind there is a huge difference between blowing civilians on a bus and engaging in combat with an army. While attacks on civilians is always condemnable, a declared war by a people, with soldiers wearing uniforms and attacking another military is justified if all other options are exhausted. I'm thinking the Zapatistas here...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home