Thursday, May 05, 2005

Feed your head, feed your head

Jefferson Airplane 1967

On 2 May, www.jeffersonairplane.com announced the release of a double cd: Essential Jefferson Airplane, featuring 32 tracks penned by the legendary psychedelic band. Well, this afternoon I happened to be killing time before appearing in court (I was booked by some warden! ... it happens sometimes) and bought this compilation from exotique.

Unfortunately I was too busy to just sit and listen to it. But driving back home I must have listened to "Somebody to Love" some eight or ten times. Grace's great vibrato, vibrant interpretation is simply an epiphany!

Can't wait to be driving to work in seven hours time!

1 Comments:

At 10:16 am, Blogger Toni Sant said...

Far out! Do you think any of the Maltese radio stations will buy this CD and play a couple of tracks off it? That would almost be newsworthy!

I doubt any Maltese DJs (other than Noel Mallia and Eric Montfort...and maybe a couple of the older ones like Albert Zammit) know the Airplane and/or have ever played anything from Surrealistic Pillow or Crown of Creation.

Think of me next time you hear Volunteers or Wooden Ships (they're the two tracks I used to play the most on the Radio Malta in the late 80s, mostly because I had a CD of the Volunteers album). Somebody to Love and White Rabbit too appeared on my playlist from time to time, of course, straight from the Xandir Malta vinyl library (!!) but my favourite song from the earlier sessions is Today; and I see from the track listing of the new double CD that it's not considered an essential number.

A complete box set would have been even better but this compilation is certainly the next best thing.

Did you know that Grace Slick was a classmate of Richard Nixon's daughter in highschool? Nixon's daughter organized a reunion at the White House in the early 70s inviting her old school chums to bring their husbands/boyfriends or a guest to the party. Grace Slick took Abbie Hoffman as her guest! This was about 5 years after he tried to levitate the Pentagon.

Incidentally, I've been listinging to the Technicolor Web of Sound, an online radio station, regularly this week. The Airplane or on heavy rotation on their playlist. Check it out! They're playing The Door's verions of Alabama Song as I write this. Show me the way to the next whisky bar, indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home